Email Evolution – One Twitterific Conference!
With well over 40 pages of #eec tags on twitter search, someone needs to make a list for our eec peeps!
So here is a list of top take aways in my opinion that I saw come through on twitter. Where I could, I left in the person tweeting and the speaker they are referencing – so you’ll know who to follow. I am big believer in giving credit to my fellow eec’ers and other industry influentials. Mostly, because if it was not for some of the giants that lend me their shoulders to stand on, I would not be able to see over the heads in the crowd to know there IS a light at the end of the email tunnel.
- Event-based trigger emails are 3.5x more effective than broadcast promo emails. -Matt Burton, Bank of America
- Annual email address changes = 27% – David Daniels, Forrester
- StephanieSAM: 3rd stat of the week: $180 (presented as average), $20 (retailer) and now Alaska Airlines says value of an opt-in email address:$160. #eec
- Our event-based trigger emails are 3.5x more effective than our broadcast promotional emails. -Matt Burton, Bank of America #eec
- The Inbox is the beating heart of the Internet & email is the tightest link ever invested between seller & buyer- Stan Rapp #eec
- jaybaer: #EEC ExactTarget shows a 240% ROI boost from blogging versus PPC spend. (based on avg per click fees)
- RetailEmailBlog: Internationally, pre-checked boxes may be illegal in some cases. -Kara Trivonivic, Email Analyst #eec
- eROI: The VOTE is that people should not remove, but segment those non performers into Win back, break up, nurture campaigns. #eec
- RetailEmailBlog: 5 proven trigger emails: 1. welcome, 2. shopping cart abandonment, 3. reactivation, 4. first-time buyer, 5. birthday/anniversary #eec
- Jaybaer: #EEC e-dialog says products with reviews sell 2x over those that do not. Dell sends buyers a “please review” email at 21 days.
- alexcwilliams: Test Subject Line a/b to 20% of your list, give it 5 hours, you will have enough data to see results #EEC
- RetailEmailBlog: “Quit thinking [of email] like a channel. Think of it as a collective experience.” -David Baker, Razorfish #eec
- jaybaer: #EEC David baker – lifecycle marketing is a methodology, not a tactic.
- StephanieSAM: If you are only doing two forms of authentication, focus on SenderID and DKIM, but do all four if you can, on every IP. #eec
- @mattblumberg “Don’t pretend that email is free. Picture every email that is going out with a stamp on it.” #eec
- The expected winner never is. “That’s why we test.” – REI
- eROI: Interesting to see that subject line tests can drive $45K to $160Kin additional sales for REI in email campaigns. #eec 1% to 124% lift seen
- emailman: #eec Animated GIF is the way to go for video in email – best practice: use 10 frames/second
- The inbox is the beating heart of the Internet. Email is the tightest link ever forged between buyer and seller. Stan Rapp is GREAT
- 70% of Best Practices from 2006 or before are now WRONG (from @empg Jeanniey Mullen) #eec (please RT). Well said! (@djwaldow)
For a great leason in email creative check out the Agency Design Fight. The three finalist show us some great emails and really break down the reasoning behind the creative decisions. It’s worth to watch all three rounds.